Sunday, October 31, 2010

10/30 Barbells for Boobs

"Grace"
30 Clean & jerks 135# for time

We hosted our 2nd annual fundraiser for breast cancer research at CrossFit Will County today.  We had more than 50 athletes from several area affiliates show up to donate and put a hurt on "Grace".  We had several vendors plying their wares, a giant bouncy house for the kids, an Oswego police squad car (also for the kids), a raffle with a ton of valuable prizes donated by our many sponsors, sweet custom t-shirts, newbie WODs running upstairs in the loft, a bounty of deliciousness, some paleo, much of it not, ice cold adult beverages, and of course, many, many admirable performances in the CrossFit classic WOD "Grace".  Oh, and did I mention that we required our members to show up in costume?  Of the many highlights:  A-rog simultaneously running 2 grills while wearing Tinkerbell wings, Haas going under 2:00 in the WOD in cargo pants (1:57 if I'm not mistaken), Timmy performing the WOD in a full gorilla costume, including gloves, and still putting up a 3:30, Jake finally doing "Grace" rx'd (I had to shame him into it bit I think he's glad I did), and raising a boatload of money for the best kind of cause.  Best costumes of the day (in my humble estimation), and there were many awesome ones, went to Marisa as Mia Wallace from "Pulp Fiction", with a giant syringe sticking out of her chest, and Mike as Sloth from that iconic '80s classic "The Goonies".  Many, many people contributed to make the event possible, but Shannon was the spearhead, and should be singled out for her efforts.  She did a ton of work and wore a bunch of hats.  It was a super stressful job, but she handled it gracefully, and the event went off without a hitch.  Superlative effort Shan.  Thank you.
On a personal note, I was lucky enough to post a 2:38 "Grace" which is a 15 second PR.  I say lucky because, judging by the way I felt afterward, I think I could have pushed a little harder, which is disappointing, and frankly, unacceptable.  Nor is it like me to hold back, intentionally or not.  Certainly there were a myriad of distractions, but a competitor pushes all of that aside for 2 and a half minutes.  I will not let that happen again.
Afterward, a bunch of our members stuck around and ate, drank and made merry until pretty gosh darned late into the evening.  I'm pretty gosh darned tired.
Hopefully post some pics later.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment