Wednesday, October 27, 2010

10/27 Tastes Like Burning...

3 Rounds for time:
15 Hang power cleans 135#
30 Squats

Planned on doing this at home or after coaching at the gym, but I got to the Clubhouse a little early to coach the 5:15 class, and the 4:15 was just about ready to hit it.  So, with no warmup to speak of, I loaded up a barbell and let it rip.  Always better with a group.  Normally I'd advise strongly against flying into a WOD cold like that, but the weight was light enough and I'd done a fair amount of stretching and foam rolling throughout the day.  And of course, a hallmark of CrossFit is training and preparedness for the unknown and unknowable.  Managed to keep the pace hot.  I never put the barbell down once (thank you chalk and hook-grip), only resting with the bar in the front rack 2 or 3 times.  The 2nd set of squats was broken once and the 3rd set twice, each time only long enough to take a single breath before resuming.  At the end the clock read 3:57.  This WOD was a good test of anaerobic capacity.  The cardio engine never really felt tested but it was a leg-burner for sure.  In fact, the burn in my legs seemed to actually increase for several minutes post-WOD, not unlike a 500m sprint on the rower, or the "Pain Pony" as we like to call it.
Not sure what tomorrow will hold.  I rarely train more than 3 days in a row, but I feel very fresh.  One of the great benefits of Westside programming is that it maximizes recovery.  If I feel as fresh in the AM as I do now, I may decide to hit the ME upper body, which would be the standing press.  Haven't shot for a 1RM in the press in at least a year, so I admit it's tempting.  We shall see.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment