Friday, September 17, 2010

Lifting with the Champ

Well, I kept my vow to rest yesterday, for the most part.  My good friend, and fellow trainer at CFWC, Haas, came in late to meet with Brian, an MMA guy from the old space, to wrestle and throw some hands.  Turns out that back in the day Brian was a powerlifter.  A good one.  In fact, a holder of one Natural (meaning no steroids, essentially) powerlifting title or another, or several, I'm foggy on that part.  Suffice to say, he's stronger than all hell.  Like 700# deadlift strong.  So, what was supposed to be a boxing/jiu-jitsu session turned into a clinic on the finer points of the sumo deadlift.  I was shocked at the flexibility and core strength required.  After only a few pulls at anything over 300#, I'm sore in places I've never been sore before.   Also of note was a technique he showed us on how to generate maximum tension in the bottom position, before ever even trying to break the bar free of the ground. Enlightening stuff that I can't wait to show our clients
More later
J

No comments:

Post a Comment