Tuesday, September 14, 2010

C&J/Double Tabatas

Clean & Jerk (65%x2, 70%x2, 75%x1, 80%x1)x2
-2 Hours later
Double Alternating Tabata: (8 rounds)
Wallball 20#
Rope climb 15'

For a number of reasons I've decided to back off from the OPT programming a bit until after FGB5.  The constant oly lifting in the current phase has taken a toll on my left wrist, and if I'm honest, I've grown a little bored with the metcon.  Man cannot survive on rowing, running and burpees alone.  On top of that, I'm starting to really miss working out with the classes at our box, and I've always felt strongest and most confident when I'm squatting, DLing, etc heavy every week.  I'll absolutely come back to it, because I can feel and see the obvious progress I've made on it.  But for now, I need a little break.
Let's get to the gettin'.  C&J felt light and fluid.  Weights were 165, 180, 190, 205#.  I only rested long enough to change plates and by the end I was drippin' a good sweat.  After coaching two classes and swallowing a handful of almonds I laced up and hit a WOD I'd been looking forward to for some time.  I managed 10 wallballs and 2 rope climbs each round.  The wallballs weren't too bad, but 2 rope climbs in 20 seconds is no joke, and by the end I was flying down that rope to get the rep in before the time was up.  Cool, fun WOD.  Looking forward to unleashing this one on some of our advanced clients.

Last night:
Bench press 5-5-5 (60-70-80% of 1RM)
Back squat (low bar) 5-5-5 (60-70-80% of 1RM)
50 GHD situps
Max reps HSPUs, 1 set

After not benching or squatting heavy for about 6 weeks, I was pleasantly surprised with this one.  BP weights were 155, 175, 205#.  5th rep of last set was a struggle, but I got it up without having to dump plates off the end of the bar, which is a plus.  Squats were 200, 230, 260#.  After 200 and 230 felt heavy as all hell, I didn't hold out a lot of hope that 260 would go up 5 times.  But I'll be gosh darned if it didn't.  I flippin' hate squatting. 
HSPUs are just an enigma to me.  It doesn't seem to matter what I do, the numbers just don't ever seem to improve much.  I've tried GTG, ladders, EDT, extended ROM, Tabatas, max effort sets, HS holds, you name it.  Managed 19 reps, which ties my PR.  I'm dying to take another swing at "Diane" and finally go sub-4:00, but I'm never sure when I'll have solid HSPUs.  Perplexing.  And frustrating.

Looking forward to hitting the WOD at the ClubHouse in the am.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment