Monday, February 7, 2011

2/4/11 My Nuts Are Yours

"7 Year B!tch"
7 Rounds for time:
7 Sumo deadlift highpulls 135#
7 Box jumps 30"

My 3rd go around with what has become a CFWC classic, the "7 Year B!tch".  My best (pathetic) time in this one was 6:32 on 9/18/09.  I'd consistently got my ass handed to me by the bigger, stronger guys in the gym, and there were already a couple of great times on the board (5:57 and 5:52).  Did it on my own, which is never ideal, but my good friend and fellow trainer Haas stuck around to get me through it.  The 1st few rounds went very fast, both done before a mnute had elapsed.  By the 3rd round I was wondering how the heck I was gonna pull 135# to my chin for 7 rounds.  But Haas kept on me, and I kept moving, to finish at 5:47, a huge PR. 
It dawns on me that the importance of having a good coach can not be overstated.  Haas knows me and my limits VERY well, and I trust him implicitly.  When he tells me I have another rep in me I believe that I do, and lo and behold the bar indeed goes up.  When his tone implies that my effort is disappointing, I suck it up and go harder.  This is the stuff of a good coach: not just the wherewithall to spot and communicate good and bad movement, safety and efficiency, but to inspire us to efforts beyond that which may come from within.  If, in the hazy heat of your next WOD, you find yourself willing to bleed rather than catch a glimmer of disappointment in the eyes of your trainer, then consider yourself fortunate.  You have found a coach.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment