Tuesday, January 4, 2011

01/03/11 ...Take My Breath Away...

So the holidays finally derailed training a little bit last week.  Took the 29th and 30th off and had a fairly lackluster effort on the 31st.  However, I managed to exercise a bit of self-restraint on New Years Eve and had a great partner WOD on New Year's Day morning with Chris, a member of CFWC who's training for an Ironman.  Also, fellow trainers CK and Tim registered me for the 1st annual Great Lakes CrossFit Challenge, a five event, one day competition held on the 15th in Indianapolis.  So, for the next few weeks I'll shift my focus towards conditioning and skills development, as well as reigning in the profound dietary jackassery that's been going on.  Was ready for a break from the strength focus anyway.  Today's good times:

Back squat 5-5-5 
Why is this CF Virginia Beach trainer nearly naked with the doors open 
to a snowy parking lot?  'Cuz winter can suck it, that's why

15-12-9-6-3 for time:
Sumo DL high pull 95#
Push press 95#

Ab-wheel rollouts 5x5

Hit 225#, 255# and 285# in the squat, which wasn't too bad.  I wanted to hit the metcon with all I had to get a guage on where my conditioning was at.  The best time on the board was 4:00, which was about were I thought it would be.  I worked through it unbroken and finished in 2:46.  Thanks to Jake and RC for sticking around to help a brother out and keep me honest.  More and more I'm inclined to believe that conditioning is mostly a function of strength and grit.  Pure conditioning, as it applies to CrossFit and the oxidative pathway is a myth, and these WODs are more an expression of strength and skill and an athlete's ability to willingly and repeatedly go to very dark places, than any profound physical adaption.  A decidedly masochistic pursuit to be sure, but also one that yields tremendous dividends.
The tentative schedule for tomorrow is to hit the CFWC WOD in the AM and CFE in the evening.  We'll see how it goes.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment